There is a high chance that you have connected your laptop or mobile device to an unsecured public WiFi. We often do this in many places such as a coffee shop and in other public places like in the airport. There is free WiFi in most US municipalities and cities. However, these hotspots are susceptible to hackers who can get access to what people are doing online. That doesn’t mean you should stop using public internet spots. This is a great way to cut down on your mobile data us. What you will need to do is to have a virtual private network (VPN) to stay safe!
A mobile VPN is also useful for blocking ad trackers that have been an annoyance and also an infringement on your privacy. You definitely have realized ads for products that you have searched for or bought in recent times tracking you around the web. You can get rid of such by using a mobile VPN that hides your IP.
Connection to a Mobile VPN
When an app has been installed on a mobile platform, it should be enabled through set-up. The user is required to use the instructions for the app for mobile VPN to be enabled. The VPN symbol (a key) will show up on the mobile screen to confirm when connected. The application will always alert you when a connection is not private for you to know whether it is best to connect or not. Connection to a VPN can also be done without the installation of a third-party application. Here is what to do for all Android Phones:
- Go to settings and select the Wireless & Networks option, then tap on VPN to choose the type of VPN connection you need for your Android Smartphone.
- There will be two choices: Basic VPN and the Advanced IPsec VPN. Basic VPN helps you to manage third-party applications and connect to VPN networks. For Advanced IPsec VPN, you can connect to a VPN manually that comes alongside other advanced settings.
- For Basic VPN, click on Add VPN
- Give a name to the VPN connection
- Choose the connection type used by the VPN
- Input the server address of the VPN
- You can include several VPN connections of your choice and toggle between them
- You can also enable the “Always on VPN” setting under the Basic VPN section. This option will only permit network traffic once connected to a VPN. It is useful especially if you are always viewing sensitive data and information while on the move. Take note that this feature will only be of use with the L2TP/IPSec VPN connection.
- For those with a Nexus gadget on Android 5.1 and above or a Google Pixel Device, Wi-Fi Assistant feature is a built-in VPN that you could access. It is located in the settings under Google and then Networking. This is how to enable the Wi-Fi Assistant feature. After that, you can either enable or disable the “manage saved networks” feature implying that it will connect to networks that were used in the past automatically.
With a VPN on your Smartphone, a secure encrypted connection is created to block other people from seeing what you are doing online. It is highly recommended for people who are fond of using public Wi-Fi connections. VPNs apply a tunnelling process to provide a private connection on a device connected to the internet for protection of your confidential data and information.
The Best VPN Apps
You can easily get VPN for android for free. However, the paid apps are not necessarily expensive. Recommended brands include the NordVPN and the Avira Phantom VPN, which encrypt your location and connection to deter snooping and/or stealing of your information by other people. With these Android VPNs, you can get a fringe benefit where you can change your location to access content that could be restricted in your area.
Connecting a VPN on Android seems like overkill but a breach on your mobile phone can lead to a serious problem. You may not be aware of the person seeking to tamper with your data and information while on free public Wi-Fi. It is therefore important to try out some of the VPNs especially the free ones for trial before committing to a paid one. A VPN on Android serves the same function as when used in your computer if not more. Having a virtual private network is particularly important for your phone, which you tend to use more than your computer every day!